Monday, July 30, 2007

Balcony Tomato Emergency


Another extremely windy day on my balcony, once again with serious consequences for my balcony plants. Again, mostly because of their height, my balcony tomatoes were the ones most damaged!
I can tell you, it wasn't a pretty sight! My tomatoes were all tangled, the stems and branches were heavily bent and tossed all around. The wind had no mercy for my balcony plants! Here's a picture of my balcony tomatoes that might show you what I'm talking about.



I hurried to save my plants, but most of the damage had already been done. However, I had to help my tomatoes somehow! Italman to the rescue! Considering the jungle they created on my balcony garden, it takes some acrobatic skills to prune, stake and tie them. It's almost impossible for me to approach some branches, but I hope I managed to tie them enough and they won't brake under this sweet weight they're carrying. I even inserted a few additional stakes, but I can't find one tall enough for my crazy growing urban tomatoes.



That's the best I could do, but on a brighter or better said greener side most of my herbs seem to be fine. However, I'll be sure to check out the state of my entire balcony garden(plant by plant) early in the morning! Balcony herb garden update No.2 follows!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We've just had some incredible squally winds here as well so I can empathise with your balcony plants at the moment.

Mine have been tossed to and fro in the garden so I can assume that having to survive that on a balcony must be extremely challenging.

Italman said...

Hey Stuart,
I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing similar difficulties.
We can only hope that our plants are strong enough and that they will survive.
Stay green!