Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Why herbs on a balcony?

Among many other uses, herbs have been very important part of culinary practice for ages and still are. The best way to add some real natural flavor to your food is to season it with some of your precious homegrown herbs.

Most of culinary herbs are pretty easy to cultivate, so almost everybody can grow his/her own herb garden with minimum effort. The one thing these plants love is the sun, so make sure they have enough of it! And one more thing, herbs usually don't require a lot of moisture, so there's no need for every day watering. Balcony garden, container or a window box, it doesn't matter, because there's always a way to find some space for a couple of your favorite herbs.
Homegrown herbs are essential part of my cuisine and I can't imagine some of my favorite meals without it. I use herbs to add to give some extra flavor and fragrance to my meals. They are very important part of my life and growing them myself gives me the pleasure of enjoying my own fresh herb every day. Of course, once the time comes they'll be harvested, dried and stashed for winter. Use them to add their specific flavor to soups, sauces, stews, salads, teas, juices... Some recipes, soon!

Balcony herbs: Thyme, Purple Basil, Oregano, Lovage




No comments: